BULLET St. Louis Street Index
C - Street Names

Following is a list of currently existing (1994) St. Louis city streets which was compiled by Dr. Glen Holt and Thomas A. Pearson. Entries are alphabetical by street name, and include information on street orientation (east-west, north-south), street name origin, dedication date, and neighborhood(s) through which the street runs (when known).

C. D. BANKS AVENUE (E-W). Name given to this street in 1981 to honor Cornelius David Banks, a black youth leader for the Y.M.C.A. Formerly called Fairfax Avenue, a name that originated with Baron Fairfax, a neighbor of George Washington. (Grand Prairie)

CABANNE AVENUE (E-W). The main street in the 1877 Cabanne Subdivision laid out by Dr. John S. Cabanne, owner of a long, narrow strip of land running westward from Union Boulevard. The doctor's home was located on this street. (Cabanne)


CABANNE WAY (N-S). In the 1885 subdivision of Clemens Place, it was dedicated as a public alley in 1907. Like the earlier Cabanne Avenue, it honored Dr. John S. Cabanne. (Cabanne)

CADET AVENUE (E-W). This short street is in the Gibson Heights subdivision of 1891. It was named after Pierre "Cadet" Chouteau (1789-1865), who owned the property earlier in the 19th century. Chouteau was a fur trade partner with his brother-in-law, Bartholomew Berthold. In 1820 he served on the committee that helped write the Missouri Constitution. (Shaw)

CAHOKIA STREET (E W) In Kayser, Kennett and Smith's Marine Villa Addition of 1859, this street leading to the river was named for the Cahokia Ferry which crossed the Mississippi to join the village of Cahokia with the southern part of St. Louis. (Marquette-Cherokee)

CAIRNS PLACE (N-S). In the Oakland Park Number Two addition of 1924, it venerates Mrs. Anna Sneed Cairns, founder of the Forest Park University for Women, which formerly occupied the site. (Oakland)

CALHOUN STREET (E W). Named for John C. Calhoun, American statesman, politician and philosopher who fought for the Southern cause in Congress before the Civil War. (Soulard)

CALIFORNIA AVENUE (N S). One of the principal north south lanes in the 1836 survey of the St. Louis Commons, it was named for the new state of California in the street platting of the Commons accomplished during 1854. (Compton Hill) (Marquette-Cherokee) (Midtown)

CALL STREET. (N-S). Appearing in the Stoddard Addition of 1851, it is named for Richard Keith Call (1791-1862), territorial governor of Florida who led a campaign against the Seminole Indians. Although no signs can be found for this street, it still shows on the St. Louis Police Book. One directory lists it as located at the "first alley west of Leffingwell from Mills Street," at 2850 west and 100 north. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

CALVARY AVENUE (N-S). In the Grand Addition of 1869, it bears the name of the place of Christ's crucifixion probably due to its proximity to nearby Calvary Cemetery. Named Bellefontaine Avenue from the wharf to Natural Bridge Road until 1881. (Walnut Park)

CALVIN AVENUE (E-W). In the Penrose Park Addition of 1917, Calvin owes its orign to the Latin Calvinus, from calvus, meaning "bald." (Fairground)

CAMBRIDGE LANE (E-W). Named for the city of Cambridge, England, the seat of famed Cambridge University, founded in the 12th century. The street appeared in the 1890 subdivision of Inglesyde. (Baden-Riverview)

CAMELLIA AVENUE (N-S). In the John J. Anderson and John S. Dearderick's subdivision of the White Farm of 1858, it was named for the showy many-petaled flower of an evergreen shrub. The camellia, in turn, is named for Jesuit missionary G. J. Camellus (1661-1706), who brought the variety to Europe. (Fairground)

CAMPBELL AVENUE (E-W). For Robert Campbell, the 19th-century St. Louis capitalist who made his fortune in the fur trade. Appeared in the Harlem subdivision of 1870. (Baden-Riverview)

CANAAN AVENUE (E-W). McDermott's Addition to Baden of 1905 had this street name which in oral tradition is said to acknowledge a colony of Jews that settled in the area about 1910. Canaan was the ancient Israelite name of Palestine. Between Newby Street and Halls Ferry Road this street was known as Estella Avenue until 1932. (Baden-Riverview)

CANTERBURY AVENUE (E-W). Located in the Moses Greenwood Subdivision of 1891, it honors the borough of that name in Kent, England, which is the spiritual center of England and seat of the archbishop of Canterbury. (Oakland)

CARDINAL AVENUE (N-S). In Stoddard's Addition of 1851, it commemorates Jean Marie Cardinal, an early French settler who was killed in the St. Louis Common Fields during the Indian attack of 1780. Sections of this street were named Julia Street and Maguire Avenue until 1881. (Midtown) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

CARLSBAD AVENUE (N-S). First appeared in the 1906 Kings Heights subdivision, it is derived from the city of Carlsbad, a prominent Austrian spa. (Morganford)

CARNEGIE PLACE (N S). A former site of a public market at Indiana Avenue and Utah Street. Covering 2.07 acres, it was donated to the city in l899 for use as a public park. Its name honors Andrew Carnegie, the American steel maker and philanthropist who donated many libraries to St. Louis and other cities and towns. (Benton Park)

CAROLINE STREET (E-W). The name Caroline is "the Italian feminine form of Charles, introduced to Britain by George II's queen." A street bearing this name, therefore, has a royal touch of class. Appeared in Toney's Addition of 1855. (Midtown)

CARONDELET BOULEVARD (E-W). Named for the French colonial village of Carondelet, which in turn took its name from Baron de Carondelet, Governor-General of Louisiana. The street parallels the River des Peres drainage canal eastward from Morganford Road. (Morganford)

CARPENTER PLACE (N-S). Developed as a one-block private subdivision in 1876, this street was named for the owner of the development site, J. C. Carpenter. It was intended to be an echo of nearby Vandeventer Place opened six years earlier. (Grand Prairie)

CARR DRIVE (E-W), See explanation for
CARR STREET. Zip 63106

CARR LANE (N-S) Like Carr Street and Carr Alley, this thoroughfare, established in the Glasgow Woods Subdivision of 1928, bears the name of prominent early St. Louisan, William C. Carr (1783-1851), a lawyer, circuit judge and philanthropist who came to the city soon after the Louisiana Purchase. The name should not be confused with Carr Lane Avenue, quite a different street named for a very different man. (Baden-Riverview)

CARR LANE AVENUE (N-S). Honors Dr. William Carr Lane, first mayor of St. Louis. The name first appeared in the North Compton Hill Subdivision of 1866. (Compton Hill) (Terry Park)

CARR LANE DRIVE. A drive in Forest Park named for William Carr Lane, first mayor of St. Louis. (Kingsbury)

CARR STREET and CARR DRIVE (E-W). In the 1830 subdivision of Biddle and Wash, it honored William C. Carr (1783-1851), a St. Louis lawyer and circuit judge, and philanthropist who came to St. Louis soon after the Louisiana Purchase.The name first appeared in the Downtown area. In the original 1826 nomenclature, the street was designated Pear between the levee and Seventh Street. It was renamed to honor Carr who subdivided frontage along the street in 1834 and donated a park, Carr Square, to the city in 1842. (Downtown) (Midtown) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

CARRIE AVENUE (E-W). First appearing in the Harlem subdivision of 1870, it is named for a daughter of Colonel John O'Fallon. Carrie is "a pet form of Caroline." (Hyde Park & Bissell- College Hill)

CARROLL STREET (E W). Named by Julia C. Soulard to honor Daniel Carroll, brother of America's first Roman Catholic bishop, John Carroll of Baltimore. (Soulard)

CARTER AVENUE (E-W). In J.G. Bryan's Estate Second Subdivision of 1865, it commemorates Walker R. Carter who had extensive land holdings in the vicinity. It was Barrett Avenue from John to Alice until 1881 and was Ferry Street from Grove to Grand and Guy Street from Grand to Warne, until 1893. (Fairground)

CARVER LANE (E-W). Honors George Washington Carver (1864-1943), a Black American agricultural chemist, scientist and benefactor of humanity (and faculty member at Tuskegee Institute). (Downtown)

CASS AVENUE (E-W). In Joseph Johnson's Addition of 1836, it honors Lewis Cass (1782-1866), American statesman who served as territorial governor of Michigan from 1813 to 1831, Secretary of War, minister to France, and U.S. Senator from Michigan between 1845 and 1847. He was the unsuccessful Democratic candidate for President in 1848. (Grand Prairie) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

CASTLEMAN AVENUE (E-W). Named for George A. Castleman, a prominent St. Louis lawyer who died in 1897. He served in the Missouri General Assembly and the State Senate before Governor David R. Francis appointed him a judge on the criminal court of St. Louis in 1891. (Shaw)

CATALAN STREET (E W). When the city limits of Carondelet were extended south to the River des Peres in 1851, they included an old French settlement known as Prairie Catalan, founded by the pioneer Louis Catalan. He is honored by this street name. (Carondelet)

CATALPA STREET (N-S). In the Maryville Addition of 1875, it is named for the catalpa tree. (Cabanne)

CATES AVENUE (E-W). Named for Catherine Cates, a daughter of Mrs. Eliza Clemens, the land owner, in the 1885 subdivision of Clemens Place. One of its sections earlier was called Fairmount Avenue. (Cabanne)

CATHERINE AVENUE (E-W) Appearing in Steinlage's subdivision of 1928, the name has its roots in the Greek Aikaterina. The Romans linked its meaning with their word for "pure." (Fairground)

CAVE STREET (E W). A short street near Broadway and Cherokee named for nearby Cherokee Cave, an early local landmark. (Soulard)

CECIL PLACE (E-W). Originally Hapsburger Avenue in the 1906 subdivision of Austria Heights, the street was renamed in 1918 in tribute to Viscount Cecil of Chelwood, (1864-1958), the British statesman who collaborated in drafting the League of Nations Covenant. (Morganford)

CEDAR STREET (E-W). In 1826 the east-west streets in the present downtown area were named after trees while the north-south streets were numbered. This scheme followed the pattern in downtown Philadelphia, the former hometown of the city's first mayor, Dr. William Carr Lane. Located at 800-south, along the wharf, Cedar was designated as "H" Street for five years before it received its arboreal name in the 1826 ordinance. (Downtown)

CENTER COURT (N-S). A short street in the Kingshighway Forest Subdivision of 1928, it was developed in an area formerly occupied by part of St. Paul's Cemetery. (Oak Hill)

CENTER CROSS DRIVE (N-S). The drive within Tower Grove Park which is one block east of Tower Grove Avenue, connecting North Drive and South Drive. The street marks the apparent center of the park. (Shaw)

CENTERRE PLAZA (E-W). So named for its connection to Centerre Bank. (Downtown)

CENTRAL AVENUE (N-S). The "Central Avenue" in the Victoria Place Subdivision of 1906. (Oakland)

CENTRAL INDUSTRIAL DRIVE (N-S and E-W). Formerly an avenue of the same name, it runs between the main line of the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad and the Missouri Pacific Railroad in the area between Lafayette and Chouteau east of Vandeventer. The street name appeared in the 1920s as efforts were made to develop in-city industrial districts. (Shaw) (Midtown)

CERRE STREET (E-W) One of the city's earliest French settlers, Gabriel Cerre came to St. Louis from Kaskaskia. A merchant, he invested his fortune in local real estate. He and a few other St. Louis merchants gained stature in 1778 when they used their stores to outfit George Rogers Clark for this successful march to take Vincennes. Cerre Street first appeared on St. Louis maps during the 1830s. (Downtown)

CHAIN OF ROCKS DRIVE (E-W). In the former Paschall H. St. Cyr tract, it was named for the Chain of Rocks geographical formation in the Mississippi River. (Baden-Riverview)

CHAMBERLAIN AVENUE (E-W). Initiated as a street in the 1887 subdivision of Chamberlain Park, it was named for S. Chamberlain, an area landowner whose name and first initial appeared initially on an 1878 map of St. Louis. (Cabanne)

CHAMBERS ROAD (E-W). Named for B. M. Chambers, a property owner near Ferguson at the west end of what became Chambers Road in 1878. It is a common English name meaning "the officer in charge of a private household of a king or important nobleman," or simply a worker in a chamber as a domestic servant. Until 1929 Chambers carried the name of Gibson Road after James B. Gibson, a nearby property owner. (Baden-Riverview)

CHAMBERS ROAD SOUTHEAST (E-W). A cutoff for Chambers Road. (Baden-Riverview)

CHAMBERS STREET (E-W) Initiated in Tyler's Addition of 1850 honors Colonel William Chambers who took as partners William Christy and Christy's father-in-law, Major Thomas Wright, and laid out the Town of North St. Louis in 1816. This street was known as Howard Street from 16th to 17th until 1893. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

CHANNING AVENUE (N-S). Venerates William Ellery Channing (1780-1842), American author, Unitarian minister and writer on labor problems, education and religious tolerance. Originated in the 1854 sub-division of Section 16 of the City Commons by Reverend William G. Elliot, the noted St. Louis pastor and educator. (Midtown) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman) SEE ALSO Baker Boulevard.

CHARITON STREET (E W). The east west streets in the St. Louis Commons were designated by the names of rivers or Indian tribes in the 1854 platting of the Commons. Named for the Chariton River in Missouri, which in turn was named after Jean Chariton, an early French trader in that area. (Marquette-Cherokee)

CHARLESS STREET (E W). A short street in the Devolsey Addition of l848, it was named for Joseph Charless, who in l808 published the Missouri Gazette, the first St. Louis newspaper. (Benton Park)

CHECKERBOARD SQUARE (N-S). Called South 9th Street from Gratiot to Chouteau until 1969 when it was named for the new Ralston Purina corporate headquarters located there. (Downtown)

CHEROKEE STREET (E W). One of the principal streets platted in the original survey of the St. Louis Commons. As with many other east west streets in the commons, it was named for an Indian tribe. East of Broadway, it was called Harney Street until l88l. (Benton Park) (Marquette-Cherokee) (Soulard)

CHERRY LANE (E-W). In James Reese's subdivision of 1890, it probably was named for cherry trees grown in its vicinity. (Oak Hill)

CHESTER STREET (N-S). Honored former President Chester Alan Arther when it appeared in the 1885 Chouteau Estate subdivision. (Arlington)

CHESTNUT STREET (E-W). One of the first named east-west streets in Colonial St. Louis was La Rue Missouri. After American takeover in 1804, it became North "A" Street. In 1826, as part of the general scheme to name east-west streets for trees, it became Chesnut. This spelling was changed to Chestnut in 1893. (Downtown) (Midtown)

CHEVROLET AVENUE (N-S). In the General Motors Park subdivision of 1920, it was named for the nearby Chevrolet plant. (Arlington)

CHILDRESS AVENUE (N-S). Originally appeared on St. Louis maps in the Carlisle Subdivision of 1890, honoring John C. Childress, a civil engineer of that period. It was extended into the Clifton neighborhood in 1925 where it appeared in the Arsenal-Watson Park subdivision of that year. (Clifton) (Oakland) (Southwest)

CHIPPEWA STREET (E-W). Originally named in the 1854 subdivision of the St. Louis Commons, where the east-west streets were named after Indian tribes, in this case the Chippewa. (Marquette-Cherokee) (Oak Hill) (Southwest)

CHOUTEAU AVENUE (E-W). Honors Auguste Chouteau, co-founder of St. Louis, who as a l4 year old boy supervised the construction crew which erected the first buildings in the French colonial village of St. Louis. After American takeover in 1804, the section of this street west of Broadway was called "K" Street, with K being the twelfth letter of the alphabet for the twelfth street south of Market Street, the city's north-south mid-line. When streets were given three names in 1826, the section of "K" from the wharf to Broadway was called Hazel. It was renamed Chouteau in 1857. (Downtown) (Lafayette Square) (Midtown) (Shaw) (Soulard)

CHRISTIAN AVENUE (E-W). For Christian Oberbeck, a landowner in the vicinity, in the Blase subdivision of 1889. (Baden-Riverview)

CHRISTIANNE COURT (E-W). A feminine form of "Christian" appearing first in the Hillcrest Park subdivision of 1951. (Morganford)

CHRISTY AVENUE (N-S). Named for William Tandy Christy, who founded the firm which became the Laclede-Christy Fire Brick Company. It was platted in the Humboldt Heights Subdivision of 1906. Between Gravois and Eichelberger, it was named Elenore Avenue until 1932. (Oak Hill)

CHRISTY BOULEVARD (N-S). Like Christy Avenue, it was named for William T. Christy. It was named Kingshighway Southwest from Holly Hills Avenue to Kingshighway Boulevard until 1931. (Oak Hill)

CHURCH ROAD (N-S). First appeared in the 1854 subdivision of Henry Gimblin's estate, it recognized Holy Cross Church in Baden. (Baden-Riverview)

CINTRA AVENUE (N-S). In Hutchinson's Second subdivision of the Shreve Tract of 1883. Cintra ("curvature of the bow") is an older form of the Portugese town of Sintra, located a few miles northwest of Lisbon. French, English and Portugese military leaders signed a convention there in 1808. (Fairground)

CLAMORGAN ALLEY (N-S). Named for Jacques Clamorgan (?-1814), early St. Louis businessman and fur trader. (Laclede's Landing)

CLARA AVENUE (N-S). Named in honor of a daughter of John W. Burd, the developer of Burd's Arlington Grove subdivision of 1868. In the Cabanne neighborhood and the Central West End, until 1881, it was named Gamble Avenue between Page and Easton. It showed up in the Central West End in Clemens' Olive Street Addition of 1880. (Arlington) (Cabanne) (Central West End)

CLARA PLACE (N-S). The street appeared in Slevin's subdivision of 1886, undoubtedly named for a different "Clara" than the one honored in Clara Avenue. The name Clara originated in the "Latin Clara, feminine of clarus, meaning `bright, shinging, clear'". (Fairground)

CLARENCE AVENUE (E-W & N-S). In Benjamin O'Fallon's subdivision East of Bellefontaine Road of 1873, it honors a son of Colonel John O'Fallon. It was Moore and Hayes Avenues from Ashland to Margaretta until 1881. (Fairground) (Hyde Park & Bissell - College Hill)

CLARENDON AVENUE (N-S). Honored George William Frederick Villiers, the fourth Earl of Clarendon (1800-1870), English statesman who kept the Anglo-French alliance in the Crimean War. Seen first in the 1886 subdivision of Mount Cabanne (Cabanne)

CLARK AVENUE (E-W). For William Clark, co-leader of the Lewis and Clark expedition and territorial governor of Missouri. The portion of the street west of Seventh became Clark in the 1830s. Between 1821 and 1826, the portion of the street between the wharf and Broadway was named South "C." It was called Myrtle, after the Mediterranean shrub, between 1826 and 1881 and Clark Avenue thereafter. (Downtown) (Midtown)

CLARKSON PLACE (N-S). Adjoining Carpenter Place on the east, this private subdivision also was opened in 1876. Its site was owned by the family of the wife of William Palmer Clarkson, nee Marie Soulard Turner. Then a rising young St. Louis attorney, Clarkson developed the subdivision (Grand Prairie)

CLAXTON AVENUE (N-S). In the West Harney Heights subdivision of 1906 was named for Kate Claxton, a popular 19th-century actress who appeared in St. Louis. It was known as Union Avenue from Bircher to West Florissant until 1916. (Walnut Park)

CLAY AVENUE (N-S). When James B. Clay subdivided the Old Orchard Tract of 1876, he applied his family name to this street. The developer was the son of American statesman Henry Clay. (Fairground)


CLAYTON AVENUE (E-W). So named because it was a direct route from St. Louis to the farm of Ralph W. Clayton in St. Louis County during the 1860s. Part of his farm became the site of the county seat of Clayton in 1876. (Central West End) (Kingsbury) (Oakland)

CLAYTON ROAD (E-W). Also named for Ralph W. Clayton (see above). (Hypointe)

CLEARY AVENUE. Ward 5, Precinct 4. Probably named for Maurice J. Cleary, Missouri state representative from the 1st District (1934-1938).

CLEMENS AVENUE (E-W). Named for land owner Mrs. Eliza Clemens, widow of James Clemens, a cousin of Mark Twain, when it was laid out in the Clemens Place subdivision of 1885. (Cabanne)

CLEVELAND AVENUE (E-W). Named to honor Grover Cleveland who was nominated for president in the Democratic National Convention held in St. Louis in 1888, at the time the Tyler Place subdivision was opened. Cleveland was president of the United States from 1884 to 1888 and from 1892 to 1896. In 1888 he was defeated by the Republican candidate, Benjamin Harrison. Developers of Tyler Place tried to use the 1888 convention to build excitement in their subdivision. (Shaw)

CLEVELAND PLACE (N-S). Also named for President Grover Cleveland, it is a block-long residential place extending northward from Cleveland Avenue. (Shaw)

CLIFTON AVENUE (N-S). Originally appeared in the Clifton Heights Subdivision of 1885. The name Clifton Heights appeared earlier as a town in Delaware County southeastern Pennsylvania. Like most places named Clifton, this one had some cliffs in the area. Clifton is a popular American place name applied to more than a dozen towns in as many states, including Clifton City in Cooper County, Missouri. (Clifton) (Southwest)

CLIFTON HILLS DRIVE (E-W). Named after the subdivision in the 1953 subdivision of Clifton Hills. (Clifton)

CLIFTON PARK TERRACE (E-W). Also named for the Clifton Hills subdivision. (Clifton)

CLINTON STREET (E-W). Located in Chambers, Christy and Wright's town of North St. Louis of 1816, it was named in honor of De Witt Clinton (1769-1828), mayor of New York City for ten terms, promoter of public education and city planning, sponsor of the Erie Canal and governor of New York state. He was an unsuccessful presidential candidate in 1812. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

CLIPPER COURT (N-S). Platted in the 1955 subdivision of Carondelet Gardens Number Five, this short street commemorates America's famous 19th-century clipper ships. (Morganford)

CLYDE TERRACE (E-W). Dedicated in Winkle's Subdivision of 1914. The Winkle family ran the Winkle Terra Cotta Company. (Oakland)

CLYMER COURT (N-S). Appeared in the Carondelet Gardens Number Five subdivision of 1955, the street is probably named for a developer. Clymer is a prominent American family name. George E. Clymer (1739-1813) was a prominent Philadelphia merchant, member of the continental and U.S. Congress and a signer of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. (Morganford)

COAL BANK ROAD (E-W). In the subdivision of the Watkin's estate, A name designating the location of coal deposits in the river bluffs, it appeared in the subdivision of the Watkin's estate in 1872. (Baden-Riverview)

COCHRAN PLACE. Ward 5, Precinct 2; Zip 63106. This is one of two new streets created in both the 1983-85 O'Fallon Place townhouse development and in the nearby apartment development by McCormack, Baron & Associates. These streets run east and west of Sixteenth Street north of O'Fallon Street and south of Cass Avenue. Cochran Place, the southernmost of the two, is named for the late John J. Cochran, former United States Representtive from Missouri. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

COCKRILL STREET (N-S). Paralleling the right-of-way of the old West End Narrow Gauge Railroad (HODIAMONT), it was named for Christopher Cockrill, an associate of Erastus Wells in the establishment of the commuter line. (Cabanne)

COLE STREET (N-S). From 1821 to 1826, this street was known as north "J." In the latter year, it was named for the hickory tree. In 1842, the city changed the name from Hickory to Wash to honor Robert Wash, a prominent landowner who was appointed a federal district attorney by President James Monroe and who served on the Missouri Supreme Court. In 1941, the street was renamed for Richard H. Cole (1855-1927), a prominent black educator who served as a St. Louis school principal for fifty years. (Downtown)

COLEMAN STREET (N-S). Named for Francis Coleman, a landowner in the vicinity, when it appeared in Daniel D. Page's Third Western Addition of 1855. (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

COLLEGE AVENUE (E-W & N-S). In the Second subdivision of the College Farm of 1873, it memorializes an abandoned site for St. Louis University formerly used as a Jesuit grounds. In the Fairground neighborhood, this street was known as Centre Street from Natural Bridge to Margaretta until 1881. It is now located within Fairground Park. (Fairground) (Hyde Park & Bissell- College Hill)

COLLEGE DRIVE (E-W). So named because it is the main drive into the campus of Forest Park Community College (it is a westward extension of Macklind). (Cheltenham)

COLLEGE LANE (E-W). So named because of its location on the east campus of St. Louis University. (Midtown)

COLLETTA DRIVE (E-W). A frequent alternative spelling of Colette, the French pet form of "Nicolette. It came into existence in the Clifton Hills Subdivision of 1953. The name gained popularity because of the work of the French novelist Sidonie Gabrielle Colette (1873-1954). (Clifton)

COLLINS COURT (N-S). An English family name, "son of little Cole, a pet form of Nicholas (people's victory)". Originated in the 1956 Collins Court Subdivision. The name of Collins Court does not appear linked in any way to that of Collins Street. (Oak Hill)

COLLINS STREET (N-S). Thomas Collins opened two subdivisions in St. Louis in 1839 and 1845. Named respectively the Collins Northern and Western Additions, the developments were in the vicinity of Second and Brooklyn Streets. Collins participated in the opening of the Northern Cross Railroad near Meredosia, Illinois, in 1838. In Old North St. Louis-Yeatman, Collins Street first appeared in a subdivision of part of the Mullanphy Estate of 1843. (Downtown) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

COLOGNE AVENUE (N-S). Located in the Humboldt Heights Subdivision of 1906, it was named after the city of Cologne, Germany. (Oak Hill)

COLORADO AVENUE (N S). Originally named Ninth Street in the village of Carondelet, this street was renamed as a tribute to the state of Colorado in 1902. (Carondelet) (Morganford)

COLUMBIA AVENUE (E-W). As one name of the United States of America, Columbia is a popular American place name. Its use originated the poem, "American Liberty," written in 1775 by Philip Freneau inspired when he heard of the Battle of Lexington when Boston still lay under siege. Freneau's lines ran,

What madness, Heaven, has made Britannia frown?
Who plans or schemes to pull Columbia down?

Then, lest his allusion not be understood, Freneau added a footnote which read, "Columbia, America sometimes so callled from Columbus, the first discoverer." In Missouri Columbia became the county seat of Boone County in 1819. Columbia Avenue was originally platted in the 1871 subdivision of St. Louis Heights. Sections of this street were known as Magnolia and Manchester avenues until 1881. (Clifton) (The Hill)

COLUMBUS SQUARE (E-W) Named for the famed explorer. (Central Business District)

COMMERCIAL STREET (N-S). Originated in the 1840s as an alley paralleling Front Street. The name, Commercial Street, first appeared on St. Louis maps in the mid-1850s. It originally extended from Chestnut Street in Washington Avenue, but in later years the name is shown on extensions south to Elm Street and north to Carr Street. Although this street is difficult to find, small pieces of it still exist along the northern riverfront. (Downtown) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman) (Soulard)

COMMONWEALTH AVENUE (N-S). One of several streets in the Greenwood Subdivision of 1891 named after prominent streets in major cities, in this case for Commonwealth Avenue in Boston. (Oakland)

COMPTON AVENUE (N-S). Attorney and St. Louis mayor (1864-1868) James S. Thomas made this thoroughfare the principal street in his Compton Hill Subdivision of 1854. This avenue was probably named in honor of Compton Place, a seat of the Duke of Devonshire in England. The section of the street from Bellerive Boulevard to Wilmington Avenue in the Morganford community was known as East Virginia Avenue until 1928 when it was rechristened Compton Avenue. A section of the street in the Old North St. Louis neighborhood originated in 1852 as Alby Street in Smith's subdivision by A. R. Easton. This name persisted until 1867 when the current name was bestowed. (Compton Hill) (Lafayette Square) (Marquette-Cherokee) (Midtown) (Morganford) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

COMPTON HILL PLACE (N-S). Also probably named for Compton Hill (see above). (Compton Hill)

COMSTOCK DRIVE (E-W). Appeared in Carondelet Gardens Number Five subdivision of 1955. Comstock is an old English name meaning "dweller in a deep valley" or "one who came from Comstock (monastary in a narrow valley)." In the United States the name gained fame in the Comstock Lode, the richest known silver deposit in America, discovered in Western Nevada in 1859, and in the personage of author and reformer Anthony Comstock (1844-1915). (Morganford)

CONCORD PLACE (N-S) The Concord grape was developed in the United States between 1855 and 1860, and this name commemorates the many grape vineyards formerly located in the area. The name appeared in the 1913 subdivision of Gast Place. (Baden-Riverview)

CONCORDIA AVENUE (E-W) First appeared in the Concordia Heights private subdivision of 1910, which was named for the nearby Concordia Cemetery. Concordia was the ancient Roman goddess of harmony or peace. (Morganford)

CONCOURSE DRIVE. A drive in Forest Park named for a concourse, that is a gathering place, in this case a broad thoroughfare for carriages. (Kingsbury)

CONDE STREET (N-S). In the 1873 Second subdivision of the College Farm, it honors a family of early French settlers of St. Louis. It was Grattan Street between Linton and Adelaide to 1881 and Callahan Street from Linton to Warne until 1882. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

CONDUIT DRIVE (N-S). Follows the route of a major water conduit between the Bissell Point waterworks and the Baden pumping station. The conduit's construction path became a service road, then a street. (Baden-Riverview) (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

CONFEDERATE DRIVE. A drive in Forest Park named for the nearby Confederate Memorial Monument, a reminder of the deep divisions that existed in St. Louis during the Civil War. (Kingsbury)

CONGRESS STREET (E W). One of two east west streets in the Fairmount Addition of l850, it was named for the United States Congress. (Benton Park)

CONNECTICUT STREET (E W and SW). Rather obviously, this name is connected with the the state of Connecticut and the Connecticut River. This particular name, however, honors the Connecticut Insurance Company which financed the development of the Tower Grove and Grand Avenue Addition of 1881. Sections of this street were known as Magnolia and Manchester avenues until 1881. (The Hill) (Marquette-Cherokee) (Oak Hill)

CONVENT STREET (E W). Named in honor of the old Sacred Heart Convent which was located nearby on the west side of Carondelet Avenue (now Broadway). (Soulard)

CONVENTION PLAZA (E-W). The section of Delmar Boulevard between Broadway and Tucker boulevard was renamed as Convention Plaza in 1977 at the time of the opening of the Cervantes Convention Center, which fronts on the street between Seventh and Ninth streets. (Downtown)

COOK AVENUE (E-W). For John E. Cook, who owned a farm on this land, along Finney Avenue east of Vandeventer. Cook platted this subdivision in 1876. (Grand Prairie) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

COPELIN AVENUE (E-W). The only thoroughfare in the Rae Place Subdivision of 1885, this street was named by the widow of John G. Copelin when she dedicated the development. (Compton Hill)

CORA AVENUE (N-S). The name first appeared in Benjamin F. Hammett's subdivision of the Gay tract in 1886. Hammett probably followed a typical street-name custom and named Cora for a female relative. Cora is the "Greek `maiden', a name which seems to have been invented by James Fenimore Cooper, in The Last of the Mohicans (1826). Cora reached the apex of its popularity as female name in the decade after 1880 just at the time when Hammett laid out his development. (Fairground) (Grand Prairie)

CORNELIA STREET (E-W). Cornelia, in Latin the feminine form of Cornelius, was the popular wife of Titus Sempronius Gracchus. Originated in Bissell's Second Addition of 1852. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

CORONADO AVENUE (N-S). Named by the developers of the Holly Hills subdivision of 1923, because their first organizational meeting was held in the Coronado Hotel, which was named for Francesco Vasquez de Coronado (1510-54?), an early Spanish explorer of the American southwest. (Morganford)

COTE BRILLIANTE AVENUE (E-W). Meaning "bright hill" or "shining hill" in French, the name described an Indian mound near Easton Avenue and Kingshighway Boulevard. The same name was given to the nearby Cote Brilliante subdivision by its developers, brewer and savings and loan institutional head Felix Coste and attorney Charles Gibson. Cote Brilliante Avenue was a street within this fashionable development. (Arlington) (Grand Prairie)

COTTAGE AVENUE (N-S). Derived its name from the Cottage Place subdivision in the vicinity of Marcus and Kennerly Avenues. It was developed by brothers A. O. and T. F. Terry in 1890. At the time, the dwellings along the street sold for $4,000 or more. (Grand Prairie)

COURTOIS STREET (E W). Known as Franklin Street from the wharf to Ivory Avenue until 1881, this street was renamed for the pioneer French habitant, Louis Courtois, who donated a block of ground to be used forever as the Carondelet market house square. (Carondelet) (Morganford)

COWAN STREET (E-W). Appeared in the 1854 subdivision of West Lowell. The name originated in the Irish and Scottish as "dweller in a hollow; worker in metal, a smith". There is a Cowan, Tennessee, and a town and lake in Canada named Cowan. No specific personal attachment has been found for a St. Louisan, however. (Hyde Park & Bissell-College Hill)

COZENS AVENUE (E-W). Commemorates a surveyor for the city of St. Louis, William H. Cozens. Born in St. Louis, Cozens apprenticed with Rene Paul, the first surveyor to be hired by the local government after St.Louis was incorporated. Cozens surveyed many real estate developments in St. Louis from the late 1840s through the mid 1860s. (Grand Prairie) (Old North St. Louis-Yeatman)

CRANE CIRCLE (N-S). In the St. Louis Hills Estates Number 4 in 1950, it commemorates the family of Cyrus Crane Willmore, the developer of St. Louis Hills. (Southwest)

CREIGHTON DRIVE (N-S). In the 1946 subdivision of Villa Nona, it may be named for Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska, a Jesuit institution founded in 1878. The name first appeared in Missouri in 1855 to denote the town of Creighton in Cass County. (Southwest)

CRESCENT AVENUE (E-W). In the 1885 Berthold's Subdivision, a section of Gratiot League Square, it is named for the Crescent City of New Orleans. (Oakland)

CRICKET DRIVE. A drive in Forest Park named for the nearby cricket field. (Kingsbury)

CRITTENDEN STREET (E W). First appearing on local maps in the l850s, this street honors John Jordan Crittenden (l787 l863), United States Attorney General from l850 to l855 and Senator from Kentucky from l855 to l86l. He unsuccessfully sought to conciliate the slavery issue through the Crittenden Compromise, a scheme which used constitutional amendments. His nephew, Thomas J. Crittenden, was governor of Missouri from l880 to l884. (Benton Park) (Compton Hill) (Soulard)

CROSBY DRIVE (E-W). A "Crosby" is "one who came from Crosby (village at the cross), the name of several villages in England and Scotland." Appeared in the Carondelet Gardens Number Four subdivision of 1955. (Morganford)

CUBA COURT, NORTH AND SOUTH (E and W). Platted in the 1924 subdivision of Cuba's addition. The country of Cuba experienced enormous popularity during the 1920s, part of the general tourist discovery associated with land booms in Florida, Cuba and Central America generally. (Clifton)

CULVER WAY (N-S). A public walkway at 4,000-west on Olive Street northward to Delmar Avenue, it was named for L. L. Culver, a property owner in that area during the 1880s. (Central West End)

CUPPLES PLACE (E-W). Memorializes Samuel Cupples, a St. Louis industrialist who made his fortune in the manufacture of woodenware and later developed the Cupples Station warehouse complex at the south edge of downtown. A landowner in the Cupples Place area, the manufcturer also is memorialized in the Samuel Cupples School. (Grand Prairie)

CUSHING STREET (E W). Originally named Cabanne Street in the Kingsbury Addition of l856, this street was renamed in l88l to honor Caleb Cushing (l800 l879), an American statesman who negotiated the opening of Chinese ports to United States trade. Cushing was U.S. Attorney General from l853 to l857. (Benton Park)

CUTTER AVENUE (N-S). Located in the area of Ringiose D. Watson's 1852 subdivision of the Glades, a portion of Gratiot League Square, the street was platted in 1900 and named for J. Henry Cutter of the St. Louis Embroidery Company. (Oakland)

Back to Street Index